Richard Stallman Quotes

Some of Richard Stallman quotes :

* Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.
* People get the government their behavior deserves. People deserve better than that.
* I could have made money this way, and perhaps amused myself writing code. But I knew that at the end of my career, I would look back on years of building walls to divide people, and feel I had spent my life making the world a worse place.
* People sometimes ask me if it is a sin in the Church of Emacs to use vi. Using a free version of vi is not a sin; it is a penance. So happy hacking.
* You can use any editor you want, but remember that vi is the text editor of the beast.
* Fighting patents one by one will never eliminate the danger of software patents; any more than swatting mosquitoes will eliminate malaria.
* Prior art is as effective as US soldiers in Iraq: They control the ground they stand on, and nothing more. I used to say Vietnam, but, well, you know...
* People said I should accept the world. Bullshit! I don't accept the world.
* Value your freedom or you will lose it, teaches history. "Don't bother us with politics," respond those who don't want to learn.
* I have not seen anyone assume that all the citizens of New York are guilty of murder, violence, robbery, perjury, or writing proprietary software.
* By the way, I hope you all know about the worldwide boycott of Coca Cola company for things like murdering union organizers in Columbia. See the site killercoke.org.
* Giving the Linus Torvalds Award to the Free Software Foundation is a bit like giving the Han Solo Award to the Rebel Alliance.
* When I do this, some people think that it's because I want my ego to be fed, right? Of course, I'm not asking you to call it "Stallmanix"!
* Thanks to Mr. Gates, we now know that an open Internet with protocols anyone can implement is communism; it was set up by that famous communist agent, the US Department of Defense.
* Would a dating service on the net be ‘frowned upon’ . . . ? I hope not. But even if it is, don’t let that stop you from notifying me via net mail if you start one.
* We need to teach people to refuse to install non-free plug-ins; we need to teach people to care more about their long-term interest of freedom than their immediate desire to view a particular site.
* Based on years of conversations, I am convinced that part of the cause of the problem is the tendency to call the system Linux rather than GNU, and describe it as open source rather than free software.
* Instead of worrying about what somebody else is going to do, which is not under your control, the important thing is, what are you going to decide about what is under your control?
* "Idiots can be defeated but they never admit it."
* Playfully doing something difficult, whether useful or not, that is hacking.
* Protecting essential freedoms is always a matter of restricting the actions that would deny them.
* We promote free software as an ethical and social issue. Computer users should always have the freedom to share and change the software they use. It's wrong to try to stop someone.
* Writing non-free software is not an ethically legitimate activity, so if people who do this run into trouble, that's good! All businesses based on non-free software ought to fail, and the sooner the better.

List of previous posts on Richard Stallman
1) Richard Stallman Photo album
2) Free Software Song
3) Several Videos

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Access Pay sites without payment or authentication

116 Open Source Application that you can use

Complete HD Image Backup, Acronis Open Source alternate